Success Factors for Using Scrum and Getting BenefitsSucces factoren van het gebruiken van Scrum en voordelen hieruit halenFramgångsfaktorer av att använda Scrum och få ut fördelar av det Erfolgsfaktoren für die Nutzung von Scrum und davon profitieren
There are organization who struggle to get Scrum implemented and used, and have difficulties to adopt agile ways of working. While the Scrum framework looks simple, getting people to work in an agile way with Scrum and getting benefits out of it appears to be difficult for some organizations. But I also see organizations that are successful with Scrum and agile, and which have found better ways to implement it. I made a list of the success factors that helped them to make a difference. Do you recognize them? Which ones do you know?
The success factors that I see to get Scrum implemented and used in organizations are:
- The way that Scrum / Agile is introduced to teams, and the freedom that teams have to adopt it to their needs and to become self organizing
- The opportunities that a team takes to reflect upon how they use Scrum, and how they adapt their way of working (e.g. by doing retrospectives)
- The level of understanding of the “why” of agile and Scrum, which enables team members to develop an agile mindset (instead of just doing Scrum without really understanding it)
- The level of agile coaching and mentoring in an organization. The amount of support that professionals get in the why and how can crucial to make Scrum work
- The way that Scrum teams manage to interface and collaborate with parts of the organization that are not Agile / Scrum. E.g. projects and programs, reporting, KPIs, line managers, etc.
Do you recognize these success factors? Are there other success factors that you see which help to get Scrum implemented and used? Please share them!