How To Make Your Website GDPR Compliant?
GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) is the data privacy law introduced by the European Union (EU). The law ensures the security of users’ personal data like name, email, phone number, photo, IP address etc. This law comes into force by 25th May 2018.
GDPR ensures privacy and data protection for the individuals within the EU and the European economic area. The websites which use personal data are required to follow some regulations.
Here is a checklist to make your website GDPR compliant:
• Know the personal data used on your website. This means that you need to be clear about what data you are using, why you are using it, how long will you retain it etc.
• E-commerce websites should remove user data over a period of time.
• The content of your website should be understandable.
• If any kind of data breaches occur, there should be the provision to provide data security.
• There should not be any pre-ticked boxes in your website forms. The users should opt it if they are interested. The key principle is to provide the opt-in and opt-out option.
• If the user gives consent for the usage of private data, they should have the option to withdraw it anytime they like, (as we unsubscribe to a newsletter).
• If your website uses any third party payment gateways, email provider or chat provider; make sure they also adhere to the GDPR regulation.
• There should be provision to delete personal user data if the user demands so. The user also has the right to see the data you store about them.
Non-compliance with GDPR will cause you hefty fine. So, hurry up! Make your website GDPR compliant to avoid any kind of penalty.